March 20, 2023

After Filing Your Taxes: Common Questions and Answers

Once you’ve filed your tax return, you may have some questions. This guide covers common post-filing topics, including refund status, record-keeping, change of address, and amending your return.

Checking Your Refund Status

You can track your refund’s progress on the IRS Where’s My Refund webpage after your return is accepted. E-filed returns may take up to 72 hours for information to appear, while paper-filed returns can take 3 to 4 weeks. The page updates once daily. To check, have your filing status, the primary SSN, and the exact whole-dollar refund amount ready. If you owe the IRS, enter $1 as the refund amount.

Alternatively, call the IRS Refund Hotline at 1-800-829-1954 for automated refund information, available 24/7.

Maintaining Tax Records

Keep tax records for at least three years from the filing date. Some documents, like those related to home transactions, stock trades, IRAs, or business/rental properties, should be kept longer for personal use and future tax filings.

Address Changes

If your address changes after filing, submit IRS Form 8822, Change of Address. If awaiting a mailed refund, also file an address change with the U.S. Postal Service to forward the check to the correct address.

Correcting Errors and Amending Returns

If you find a mistake on your e-filed or paper return after it has been accepted or mailed, wait for your refund before taking action. The IRS may catch and correct simple errors or omissions, adjusting your refund as needed. If they do, there’s no need to file an amended return. To fix errors or add forms (W-2, 1099, etc.) after receiving your refund, file IRS Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

For more information contact us at (207) 888-8800.